Full-Time Southwest Deputy Regional Director
Position: Southwest Deputy Regional Director
Reports to: Southwest Regional Director
Location: The position is located in the Southwest Region of the United States, with flexibility on exact location. Preference for candidate in Texas or Southern California. (Currently Remote)
Do you want to work at the intersection of American politics, Middle East policy, the Jewish community and fundraising? Are you interested in joining a rapidly growing organization that is changing the way people think and talk about Israel and U.S. Middle East policy?
J Street seeks an experienced professional to help expand its political and communal footprint in the Southwest Region. The ideal candidate for this position will have a background in fundraising as well as politics and/or the Jewish community.
The Deputy Regional Director (DRD) is responsible for creating and executing plans that grow the organization’s leadership ranks, raise operating and political funds and advance the pro-Israel, pro-peace agenda in the American policy and Jewish communal arenas. This position is an outstanding opportunity for a talented, motivated individual to lead regional advocacy efforts for an organization whose influence and reach are growing enormously year to year.
DRDs are effective political organizers, experienced fundraisers, skilled communicators and highly organized self-starters who thrive on hitting ambitious goals and are excited by the challenge of changing the dynamics that shape discussion of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict in Congress, American politics and the American Jewish community.
The DRD is part of a dynamic five-person team that works throughout the Southwest. Their primary focus is recruiting, cultivating and organizing lay leaders and then partnering with them to accomplish J Street’s goals. Specific responsibilities of this position include:
- Cultivate and manage relationships with existing donors, with an eye toward maintaining and increasing their financial support for J Street;
- Identify new sources of funding through prospect research and development;
- Plan and implement high-impact donor and prospect events in the region that both raise new funds and expand J Street’s network of leaders.
- Advise donors and leaders on political giving strategy and then connect those donors to advocacy on one of the most politically charged issues in American politics;
- Manage relationships with campaigns of endorsed candidates including engaging leaders in meeting with candidates and coordinating political fundraising.
- Create and support structures through leadership recruitment, training, and cultivation to effectively advocate with federal elected officials at the grass-tops level on issues relating to Israel and the Middle East.
- Ensure that J Street and its leaders are engaging with the established leaders of the Jewish community locally, attempting both to enlist allies in advocacy for pro-Israel, pro-peace positions and to open up the dialogue in the Jewish community on Israel.
Leadership Growth and Administration:
- Identify, develop and empower leaders in key cities in the region who will drive J Street’s mission. This includes building and facilitating relationships between J Street and key community contacts, including rabbis, communal and political influentials, donors and activists
- Keep and maintain regional data so it is accurate and current
Required and Desired Skills and Characteristics
Applicants should have a demonstrated track record in the following required skills:
- At least 8+ years of relevant experience in the workforce;
- A strong commitment to J Street’s mission is required, including:
- Support for a secure, Jewish and democratic future for Israel, and
- Advocating an active U.S. leadership role to help resolve the Israeli-Palestinian conflict diplomatically
- Personally engaging and eager to work with leaders and staff; able to build and cultivate relationships with a broad range of community contacts
- Highly organized, detail oriented, able to prioritize multiple tasks, meet deadlines and work independently as well as in a team
- A savvy approach to politics, including an understanding of how to generate influence with Members of Congress and candidates for federal office
- Ability to clearly communicate J Street’s positions and policies as well as superb communication skills at large – written and verbal
- Comfort with technology and online communication
- Willingness to travel regionally and holding a valid driver’s license
- Background in fundraising and development work, making financial asks and organizing fundraising events; and/or experience in community or political organizing
Additional desired qualifications include:
- Familiarity with the region and the respective congressional delegations.
- Prior work in the Jewish community
- Event management experience
- Comfort with data management
- Background on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and understanding how the conflict plays out in American politics
More about J Street
J Street is the political home for pro-Israel, pro-peace Americans working for the future of Israel as the democratic homeland of the Jewish people. The organization believes that preserving Israel’s Jewish and democratic character depends on achieving a two-state solution, resulting in a Palestinian state living alongside Israel in peace and security.
J Street focuses its work in three main areas: (1) Advocating and demonstrating support for pro-Israel, pro-peace policies in Congress, the media and the Jewish community; (2) Endorsing and raising money for federal candidates who share J Street’s agenda; and (3) Educating the public and raising awareness of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and the two-state solution.
Compensation and Hours
Salary for qualified candidates starts at $67,500. This is a full-time, exempt position. Our comprehensive benefits package includes paid vacation and sick leave, personal leave, generous parental leave, paid time off on many federal and Jewish holidays, health and dental insurance, company-paid life insurance, a 401k program, commuter benefits, and a flexible spending account. J Street recognizes a staff bargaining unit affiliated with IFPTE Local 70, a union for non-profit workers. This position is included in J Street’s bargaining unit and is covered under the terms of the collective bargaining agreement.
How to ApplyTo Apply for the Position We are excited to receive applications from a broad range of applicants as we grow our organization to better reflect the diversity of the communities that care about our mission. Please submit the items listed below HERE:
- A cover letter that explains why you are interested and qualified
- List of three references
10 total views, 1 today