Full-Time Senior Financial Analyst
At the Jewish Community Federation and Endowment Fund (the Federation), we envision diverse, dynamic Bay Area Jewish communities, deeply engaged in Jewish life and doing good locally, in Israel, and around the world. We create opportunities for people in the Bay Area to connect with and contribute to their communities. Our work is guided by the timeless Jewish values of kehilla (community), tzedakah (giving with just intention), tzedek (pursuing justice), and tikkun olam (repairing the world).
Together, our community is shaping Jewish life in the Bay Area by focusing on three main priorities. First, we’re working to foster and facilitate more impactful philanthropy. Second, we’re working to ensure security and resilience for local Jewish families. And third, we’re engaging the next generation of Bay Area Jews, so they too can find connection and meaning in the values and traditions of Judaism.
The Federation seeks highly motivated individuals with a variety of skill sets to build the next generation of Federation engagement. We are especially interested in forward-thinking, collaborative, and open-minded candidates who are willing to take risks, possess a high level of integrity, and model a positive attitude that inspires confidence.
The Federation helps donors make their philanthropy more effective. Through the generosity of over 1,100 donors, the Federation grants close to $200 million a year, both locally and globally, to a variety of Jewish and non-sectarian causes. Federation Philanthropy Partners works with these donors, who all have unique situations and varying degrees of need for our guidance. Our aim is to be a trusted advisor, and to inform, educate, inspire, and challenge philanthropy driven by Jewish values, and the philanthropists in our communities.
Under the direction of the Director of Finance and Administration, the Senior Financial Analyst is responsible for managing financial reporting, financial analysis, the annual budget process, interim and long-term projections in accordance with and service to the organization’s overall mission and strategy.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION
- Participate in all aspects of financial planning including designing, implementing, and managing the annual budgeting process and multi-year forecasts, and developing financial projections including all operations and grant making, as well as individual programs and projects.
- Work with key constituents, create, implement, prepare, and manage the business decision support process by developing key department, program or project analyses and forecasts.
- Provide ongoing analytical support to budget managers on their reports and day-to-day financial questions/requests, as well as train new staff on financial resources.
- May be responsible for budget system completion and high-level reviews.
- Leverage and enhance the structure and report-writing/dashboard functionality of the financial budgeting and reporting application.
- Prepare financial management reports, analyses for the Finance team, department managers, Board of Trustees, and other constituents etc.
- Provide complex analytical reports to meet external requirements as well as to support management and board decisions.
- Ensure reporting to donors and other granting entities is accurate and timely.
- Identifies operational impact of analytical findings.
- Where appropriate, recommend and/or evaluate approaches to control organization costs and diversify revenue and monitor and report on progress.
- Support fund management in the general ledger system, including the architecture of fund attributes and recordkeeping standards, setup of new funds, and periodic review and analysis of fund balances and initiative spending to ensure funding is appropriately applied to qualifying expenses.
- Provide analytical reports and other support for annual audit and preparation of 990 filing.
- Provide leadership in strengthening internal communication with staff at all levels throughout the organization; create and promote a positive and supportive work environment.
- Collaborate extensively with the Director of Finance and Administration and cross-departmental teammates on projects and requests.
- Act as primary resource within the organization for financial reporting and analysis.
- Perform all duties as assigned in a timely, accurate and professional manner.
- Respond to all clients and users of financial information with the highest level of work. Work as a member of the financial team, and the overall team of the JCF.
- Other responsibilities as assigned by the Director of Finance and Administration.
EDUCATION OR TRAINING EQUIVALENT
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or related field required.
- Advanced degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training preferred.
- Minimum of 3-5 years of experience in financial analysis and reporting with increasing level of responsibility, including developing complex reporting and analysis.
- Non-profit experience preferred.
- Experience with financial budgeting and reporting applications (e.g., Adaptive) a plus.
QUALIFICATIONS (SKILLS, ABILITIES, LICENSES)
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills.
- Strong planning & organizing skills with the ability to prioritize tasks and self-manage workload to meet deadlines.
- Ability to plan, implement, and administer financial information and control systems.
- Ability to identify and implement ways to streamline and improve effectiveness and efficiency of close and forecast processes.
- Ability to work effectively in teams (both within Finance and cross-functionally).
- Ability to work independently on project analyses.
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite.
- Experience with fund accounting software (e.g., Blackbaud FIMS platform) a plus.
Compensation range: $90,000-$110,000
Please send a copy of your resume with a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. All applications and inquiries will receive a response and will be kept strictly confidential.
Salary commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits — medical, dental, vision, vacation, sick pay, holidays (including Jewish), and retirement plan.
92 total views, 1 today