Part-Time Middle School ‘Facing History and Ourselves’ Teacher
Who are we?
Community Day School in Squirrel Hill is an independent, co-ed Jewish day school for students in Early Childhood through Grade 8. We are distinguished by an exceptional academic program rooted in Jewish values that inspires children to become their best selves. We offer our employees competitive benefits and generous time off.
How can you contribute?
The successful Middle School ‘Facing History and Ourselves’ candidate will teach 7th and 8th Grade ‘Facing History and Ourselves’ classes.
CDS is a Partner School in the Facing History and Ourselves’ Innovative Schools Network in recognition of the school’s leadership in social justice, human behavior, and Holocaust education.
The ideal ‘Facing History’ teacher will also take a lead role in sharing teaching strategies and lessons from ‘Facing History’ so they can be integrated throughout the school in age-appropriate ways in history, language arts, library, and other disciplines.
‘Facing History’ has traditionally encompassed the study of society and human behavior, exploring themes of individual and national identity, civil rights, human rights, racism, anti-semitism, and a primary case study of the Holocaust and human behavior.
This teacher will have the opportunity to collaborate with CDS colleagues in our Social Justice and Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging work. They will also have the opportunity to represent CDS in actively seeking collaborative partnerships with schools or programs serving diverse communities so that students from all backgrounds can come to together around social justice, civil rights, and Holocaust studies.
The successful candidate will have the capacity and desire to differentiate instruction for all students, including those needing advanced instruction. We seek a team player who will work collaboratively to provide a joyful, innovative education to our students.
This is an in-person position and successful candidates must be fully vaccinated for Covid-19.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Teach according to the educational needs, abilities and achievement of the individual students and groups of students.
- Present lessons in a comprehensive manner and use visual, audio, and technological means to facilitate learning.
- Provide individualized instruction to each student by promoting interactive learning.
- Assign, correct, and mark work carried out by students.
- Assess and record students’ development, progress and behavior and provide grades and feedback.
- Collaborate with other teachers, parents and stakeholders and participate in regular meetings.
- Perform other duties, as needed.
What are we looking for? The ideal candidate will have:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- At least two years of teaching experience.
- Social Studies, Holocaust Studies, or other relevant certification or degree
- Master’s Degree is a plus.
- Teacher Certification is a plus.
- Thorough knowledge of teaching best practices.
- Capacity and desire to differentiate instruction for all students.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to use a computer, including Google Mail, Google Apps (GSuite), Zoom and other remote teaching applications.
Community Day School is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or national or ethnic origin in the administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, tuition assistance and scholarship programs, athletics, or other school-administered programs. Community Day School is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic community and strongly encourages applications from people of color and LGBTQ candidates.
How to ApplyWhat are your next steps? Check out our website for more information about our school at comday.org. If this sounds like an exciting role and you feel that Community Day School could be your home for a rewarding career, we would like to hear from you! Please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com
40 total views, 1 today