Full-Time Membership Manager
One of the newest museums in New York City,
the mission of the Rubin Museum of Art is to foster a dynamic
environment that stimulates learning, promotes understanding, and
inspires personal connections to the idea, cultures, and art of
Himalayan Asia. Now in its ninth year, the Museum welcomes over 175,000
visitors annually and has 6,000 members. With the Tenth Anniversary
just around the corner in 2014, the Museum’s exhibitions, programs, and
educational/community outreach initiatives will continue to expand,
through music, special performances, talks, workshops, film screenings,
It is an exciting time to be involved with the Rubin.
Museum has set as one of its top priorities for the next three to five
years, building a far broader and deeper base of financial support.
This position will play a critical role in helping the Rubin increase
the number of people who support the Museum as members, at all levels.
They will be working closely with the Head of Individual Giving and
Major Gifts, as well as the Museum’s Director of External Affairs in a
department of eleven staff members working on development and
We are looking for an individual with
experience and a proven track record of results and successes in
increasing membership recruitment and engagement, including how to
involve young professionals (21 – 40) as well as strategies for building
our higher level membership strategy, people who support the Museum at
the $1,500 to $10,000 levels. Vision, creativity and an entrepreneurial
spirit, combined with strong project management, organizational and
communication skills are both important in this position.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
Overall Direction and Management of the Membership Department:
• Sets the annual benchmark goals for the budget and for the membership fundraising strategy.
Manage the annual Membership Department budget, including revenue goal
setting and quarterly review of both expenses and income.
• Coordinate and manage our relationship with direct marketing consultant/s and advisers.
• Establishes the overall strategy and the annual calendar of membership events and programs.
Establishes the strategy and timeline for all membership mailings and
email communications including acquisitions, renewals, upgrades,
invitations, general communications and annual fund appeals.
• Supervises one full time Membership Coordinator, as well as volunteers and interns as needed.
Manages and oversees maintenance of Museum’s database (Raiser’s Edge)
including input of records, processing gifts, list pulls and creating
reports, and staff training, etc. (working closely with the Membership
• Responsible for
creating and implementing an internal direct mail and online package
appeal for membership acquisition and upgrades, and annual fund appeals.
Administer systems for maintaining and building the individual
membership programs, including membership levels, acquisition, renewal,
upgrade, and annual fund appeals.
• Draft all membership materials,
including thank you letters, renewals, web content, emails, appeals and
special marketing materials as needed.
• Responsible for coordination
with Museum’s publications and design teams to produce membership
materials for events and all marketing needs.
• Coordinates receipt of membership gifts with the Admissions, Museum Shop and Finance departments.
Coordinate the Museum’s efforts to promote and increase membership on
site at the Museum, as well as through community outreach and special
• Perform monthly reconciliation to the general ledger with the Finance department
Assists the Head of Individual Giving and Major Gifts in cultivating
and managing key relationships with high level donors and members, the
• Support the Visionary Circle Coordinator in
acquisitions, events, and promotion for this young patrons membership
(ages 21 – 40) group founded two years ago.
• Works as a team member
in the eight person Development Department on a wide range of
fundraising and engagement strategies for members and donors.
• Database Management
• Bachelor’s degree required.
• Proficiency in Raiser’s Edge required.
• Knowledge of email marketing tool preferred (i.e. Mail Chimp, My Emma, etc.)
A minimum of 5 plus years of proven development/fundraising experience
in the non-profit field; with three or more years of direct experience
in building and maintaining a membership program, including supervisory
• Ability to work on a variety of projects simultaneously, strong project management skills, and an attention to detail.
• Excellent supervisory and organizational skills.
• Strong writing, editing and communications skills.
• Ability to motivate, supervise, and work cooperatively and effectively with staff – a team player.
• Demonstrated literacy in MS Word, Excel & Outlook.
• Ability to attend membership/development or museum events on evenings or weekends as required.
• Experience with a museum or cultural institution preferred.
• Some interest in the art and culture of South Asia and the Himalayas preferred.
We offer a competitive benefits package.
Please provide the following as part of your application:
• Complete resume, including salary history and salary requirements.
• A cover letter addressing both your interest in the Rubin Museum, and your qualifications for this position.
How to ApplyApplications • Indicate Membership Manager on Subject Line of Email or in body of cover letter. • Applications in electronic format preferred, and accepted at email@example.com • Mailed applications – Manager, Human Resources, Rubin Museum of Art, 150 West 17th Street, New York, New York 10011
17316 total views, 2 today