Full-Time Head of School – Jewish Academy
San Diego Jewish Academy (SDJA), a private pre-K-12 college prep school, seeks a Head of Upper School to begin August 1, 2013. The Head of Upper School reports directly to the Head of School and is responsible for leadership and oversight of the entire 6th – 12th grade program. As a member of the Senior Leadership Team, the Head of Upper School works closely with the Head of School in leading and managing the entire school and in moving the school’s Strategic Plan forward.
Duties & Responsibilities
• Act as the educational leader of the Upper School, responsible for its daily operation.
• Direct the activities of the members of the faculty and staff in the performance of their duties.
• Observe, supervise and help evaluate the faculty in the development and implementation of curriculum.
• Oversee the grading and reporting of standards and methods used in measuring student achievement.
• Maintain an awareness of the educational, physical, social and psychological needs of the members of the school community, and develop plans for meeting these needs.
• Serve as a consultant to teachers regarding classroom management, teaching methods & school procedures.
• Conduct regular faculty meetings which will deal with routine school matters as well as stimulating exchange of ideas on issues of educational and philosophical interest and concern.
• Prepare a master class schedule and assign teachers and students to classes and other obligations.
• Work toward a resolution of all problems as they arise, keeping the Head of School informed.
• Strive for unity and cooperation through tact, respect and recognition of individual differences and the special abilities and strengths of each teacher; support the school and its leadership.
• Work closely with DFO to ensure compliance with school budget and policies by preparing, maintaining and providing controls for budget to include purchasing decisions, obtaining funding, and resource distribution.
• Maintain educational standards set forth by Head of School and agencies that examine/accredit the school.
• Perform other duties as assigned by the Head of School.
Criteria for successful Head of Upper School candidates
• Commitment to the development of students and encouragement of their independence and self-confidence;
• Clear vision for the future of independent education and a commitment to SDJA’s educational philosophy that successfully balances tradition and innovation;
• Commitment to high academic standards and successful teaching experience with upper school students, a “master teacher” among upper school faculty;
• Demonstrated leadership experience and strong administrative/communication skills;
• High energy, enthusiasm, good humor, flexibility, empathy, and level-headedness;
• Decisive, practical problem-solver who can set priorities and work with multiple constituents to bring out the best in SDJA students;
• Ability to inspire and lead students, faculty, and parents and command their respect and trust.
• Doctorate in Education preferred
• A minimum of 5 years in educational management and leadership
• 10+ years in education
• Digitally literate with a deep understanding of technology integration
• Outstanding interpersonal skills, with a strong customer-service focus
• Excellent written, oral, and organizational skills with an ability to effectively communicate with all stakeholders
• Experience leading an upper school in an independent, public or Jewish day school environment
Located on a beautiful and well-equipped campus in sunny San Diego, SDJA offers infants to high school seniors a unique learning environment that culminates in some of the nation’s highest-achieving students. By developing students both scholastically and ethically, our graduates are prepared for the most challenging course of all – LIFE. To learn more about SDJA, please visit our website: www.sdja.com
How to ApplySalary and benefits for this position are competitive. Qualified candidates should email a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
2181 total views, 1 today