Full-Time Head of School, Community Day School
Community Day School, formerly New Orleans Jewish Day School, has been serving the Greater New Orleans area for over fifteen years. We nurture within our students a passion for learning. We also foster a devotion to the study of Torah, a commitment to Eretz Yisrael (the land and people of Israel) and Tikkun Olam (repairing of the world).
We teach respect for the individual as well as an appreciation for the unity of all people. We encourage growth, discovery and ultimately, we strive to prepare our children for full participation in American Society and Jewish life.??
Our next Head of School will play a major role in our effort to successfully market our elementary school to the greater community. As a diverse Jewish community day school we look to welcome a new leader who feels strongly about building a cohesive community in pursuit of growth and academic excellence. The successful candidate will have strong interpersonal skills, knowledge of the art and science of education and academic credentials that demonstrate a commitment to building a reflective learning community. In addition, we look for a candidate who understands the complexities of Jewish education and who is able to relate to the diversity found both inside and outside of the Jewish people.
Reporting to the board of trustees, the Head of School will have overall responsibilities for the academic quality and institutional strength of Community Day School. Specific duties include the following:
• Continuing the school’s traditions of providing a welcoming, open, and supportive atmosphere in which students are challenged and encouraged to reach their full academic potential.
• Managing the school on a day to day basis by empowering faculty and staff through delegation of responsibility and authority while retaining ultimate accountability.
• Working closely with trustees and other key constituents on the
strategic direction of the school and raising funds for its support.
• Recruiting, developing, and retaining an outstanding faculty and staff who are committed to professional development and lifelong learning and who foster knowledge, love of learning, self confidence and self esteem.
• Continuing to improve communications across divisional, departmental, and administrative elements of the school.
• Maintaining a fair, firm, and consistently applied administrative and disciplinary environment.
• Demonstrating at all times that she/he is a visible and proactive leader who is committed to the mission of the school and the well being of its constituents.
• Representing the school to the broader community as well as to regional and national constituents.
• A person who is accessible and approachable, who deals with people in a welcoming and engaging way, and who leads by active involvement in the total life of the community.
• A role model who practices “management by walking around” as a means of staying in contact with the school community, identifying needs, opportunities and assuring that initiatives are completed.
• A person with a working knowledge of and experience in diversity, pluralistic balance, equity and justice.
• An individual who leads through inspiration and discipline, vision, patience and practicality.
• A person who understands that informal, face to face communications are a major importance to the Community Day School culture.
• A person who demonstrates leadership of an organization through transformation and continuous improvement.
Skills and Knowledge:
• Strong interpersonal skills when dealing with a variety of stakeholders.
• Knowledgeable about current educational theory and practice in the context of early childhood and adolescent development.
• Knowledgeable about curriculum, pedagogy and teaching skills.
• Strong public speaking and writing skills, including the ability to communicate concepts and ideas effectively to a wide range of constituents.
• An appreciation of the role of technology in the classroom.
• Business and management skills necessary to develop strategic plans, to install and improve administration, to prepare school budgets and schedules and a strong financial acumen with a proven competence and willingness to fundraise.
• Strong marketing and recruitment ability, with a track record of growing student body size.
• A person of unquestioned honesty and integrity.
• A person who is straightforward, objective, decisive, and consistent in the context of fair policy and discipline.
• An energetic, outgoing, warm, and friendly person who enjoys the company of others and is socially adept among a broad range of constituencies.
• A person who is at ease in unique atmosphere and culture of the Greater New Orleans region.
Community Day School offers competitive salary and benefits, which may vary based on education and/or experience.
All applications will be treated confidentially and will be evaluated on a rolling basis
How to ApplyApply to this job at firstname.lastname@example.org
2549 total views, 1 today