Full-Time Executive Director
Beth El Hebrew Congregation is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace and welcoming community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and beyond. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race or ethnicity, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, living with disabilities, generation, socioeconomic class or veteran status. Candidates from underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
Beth El Hebrew Congregation (BEHC), the oldest reform synagogue in Northern Virginia, is seeking an Executive Director. Located in Alexandria, Virginia, BEHC is a vibrant community with a focus on social action, congregant engagement and community participation. BEHC provides a safe and supportive environment where individuals are encouraged to start and/or continue their spiritual journey through exploration, education and participation.
The Executive Director is responsible for the overall management of BEHC including a small but dedicated staff of full and part-time employees. Candidates must have strong organizational skills; excellent writing, presentation and interpersonal skills; be a strategic thinker, self-starter and tech savvy; and be able to prioritize complex projects and schedules.
The Executive Director will work closely with the senior rabbi and clergy team. They will be a strategic partner in a collaborative, integrated relationship working together to thoughtfully animate our mission and values in every aspect of congregational life.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities include:
Admin & Operations
- Oversee the day-to-day operations of BEHC
- Manage the office staff, conduct annual performance reviews and annual review of each team member’s job description; manage and schedule the maintenance staff
- Hire, on-board and, when necessary, terminate all staff other than clergy, the Religious School (RS) director and RS assistant
- Oversee room scheduling including set up, cleanup and other needs for daily, weekly and monthly programs and services including space used by the Religious School and pre-school
- Maintain, grow and oversee short- and long-term rental agreements
- Support professional development, identify relevant training programs or specialized skill development programs for staff
- Serve as liaison to the JCC/BEHC pre-school and coordinate space and other need
Member & Prospective Member Services
- Manage prospective and new member materials and events
- Conduct annual review process for onboarding of and engagement with new members
- Facilitate regular membership surveys to maintain an understanding of member experiences and identify ways to improve and/or add value to members
- Event Management
- Oversee building, grounds, staffing, setup, cleanup, security and other preparations as needed for:
- High holidays
- Weekly services and other recurring events
- B’nei mitzvahs and other member lifecycle events
- Outside rentals
- Special events
- Manage site visits for prospective venue rentals
- Develop and manage annual budget with input from appropriate individuals & committee chairs
- Oversee and manage monthly finances
- Oversee the selection, implementation, management, integration, training and use of technology systems
- Identify technology solutions for greater efficiencies
Experience with the following is preferred, but not required:
- Building & Grounds – oversee facility management including cleaning, maintenance, landscape and authorized new construction and emergency issues; serve as liaison to congregant projects such as Chapel in the Woods; and oversee and manage all building and ground needs; manage vendors and coordinate their work schedules with Congregation’s needs
- Security – develop and manage security plan and coordinate communications with Alexandria Police and Sheriff’s Departments, Homeland Security and any other agency as appropriate
- Governance – prepare materials for monthly Board of Director meetings and distribute information at least five days prior to each board meeting
Work Environment: This job operates in a professional office environment and routinely uses standard office equipment and technology, such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax
NOTE: Beth El is currently operating in a virtual environment, however, subject to applicable safety regulations and best practices, the Executive Director may be required to perform limited work on-site at the synagogue building. The Executive Director is responsible for assuring that all applicable regulations and best practices addressing COVID are implemented and observed at BEHC facilities and events.
Position Type & Expected Hours of Work: Full-time position with evening and weekend hours as necessary in connection with Synagogue events and activities.
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Preferred Experience: 8-10 years in management positions
Benefits: Health and vision insurance, paid time off, sick leave, retirement plan and professional development
Other Duties: Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the Executive Director.
To apply, send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
119 total views, 7 today