Full-Time Director of Development – Jewish Federation of San Diego County
Position: Director of Development Reports to: President & CEO Department: Philanthropy Center Background: The Jewish Federation of San Diego County has served the San Diego Jewish Community for over 75 years. The Federation is the 13th largest Jewish Community in North America serving a community of more than 100,000 Jews in more than 50,000 households. There are more than 100 synagogues, organizations and institutions in the San Diego Jewish Community. For more information about the San Diego Jewish community and Federation please click on JewishinSanDiego. The Position: Federation seeks an innovative, dynamic, energetic, enthusiastic and experienced professional with a proven track record of fundraising accomplishment to lead the Federation’s fundraising efforts including the unrestricted annual campaign; donor directed giving and planned giving. The Director has primary responsibility for implementing a donor centric strategy based on deep volunteer collaboration, donor stewardship and communication leading to strengthened donor participation. The Federation faces challenges in increasing engagement of younger donors, establishing a strong legacy program and retaining existing donors. Excellent candidates will have demonstrated experience successfully addressing these and similar issues. The Director will, with the CEO and key volunteer leaders, design and execute a comprehensive and diversified fundraising plan which includes working with special events, major gifts, corporate sponsorships, direct mail, e-philanthropy, missions, leadership development, men’s and women’s campaigns, and outreach. The Director will play a key role in identifying, cultivating, and soliciting major donors. The candidate should have outstanding organizational and communication skills necessary to build strong and trusted relationships with staff, donors and volunteers. The individual will lead a team of Federation professionals. S/he will be expected to be highly collaborative and to form deep partnerships with the separately incorporated Jewish Community Foundation of San Diego to achieve our strategic goals. The Director will report to the CEO, will be a member of the Management Team and must be a team player. Key Responsibilities:
- With the Federation President & CEO, key volunteer leaders and campaign staff develops fundraising goals, objectives and strategies with measurable outcomes in support of the federation’s mission
- Identify, cultivate, solicit and steward major donors
- Create and manage stewardship and recognition processes
- Actively participate in Federation, agency and community leadership gift solicitation
- Recruit, train and develop professional staff creating a self-motivated, effective, energetic and integrated development team; organize and develop a volunteer/professional team to create and implement bold and innovative development strategies.
- Institute a system of accountability and a process to evaluate the effectiveness and success of the federation’s development activities and programs
- In collaboration with the Community Planning & Innovation Center and Israel & Overseas Center Directors, develops and maintains strong working relationships with synagogues, agencies and community leaders; including the identification and implementation of innovative, collaborative fundraising efforts serving the federation and its funding relationships
- Coordinate with the finance department on all issues regarding budget, procedures and policies
- Manages campaign-related operations ensuring the achievement of campaign goals, smooth operations, and exceptional relationships with community constituents and donors, including design and delivery of timely management reports that reflect campaign activity and progress; collaboration with Marketing on campaign-related collateral and event materials, ensuring timeliness, accuracy and consistency of message in all activities
- Plans and implements relevant committee and task force meetings. Organizes attendance, logistics, agenda and materials preparation, meeting minutes and follow-up items, ensuring timely delivery and accuracy
- Participates actively as a member of the campaign team including all campaign events, phone-a-thons, and other associated Federation events and activities
- Coordinate with United Israel Appeal and JFNA on all campaign-related matters
- Develop and manage Federation missions program to Israel and other overseas Jewish communities.
- In coordination with the Database Administrator, maintain the campaign database, including the production of campaign reports and worker assignment reports, and tracking of pledges through database management
- Performs other duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONSBachelor’s degree A minimum of 5 years experience in financial resource development including donor development and major gift solicitation, preferably in the Federation system, with a minimum of three years experience leading a fundraising department. Equivalent experience in sales, marketing or business development will also be considered.
- Excellent communication skills in person, on the phone and in writing.
- Proficiency in all Microsoft Office products.
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment, including demonstrated ability to organize and track numerous ongoing and one-time activities, events and projects.
- Strong interpersonal relationship skills including the ability to meet, greet and educate people with confidence and poise.
- Ability to logically solve problems with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative, work independently and be detail oriented.
- Comfortable with change and working in unknown situations.
- Discretion handling and communicating sensitive information.
- Willingness to work under pressure in a dynamic environment.
- A positive attitude and willingness to do whatever it takes to get the job done.
- Sensitivity to Jewish culture and traditions.
- Ability to inspire others and build commitment through articulating a clear and understandable vision.
- Ability to problem-solve in order to implement a vision utilizing data and other relevant information.
- Understands and uses analytics to develop and implement plans.
- Proven success building and maintaining trusted relationships with key stakeholders and the ability to interact multiple constituencies.
- The successful candidate will possess a personal commitment to Jewish values and knowledge of Jewish traditions.
- While knowledge about the Jewish Federation is desirable, it is not a pre-requisite for this position. Candidates with significant corporate sales and marketing experience and a client focused mindset are particularly welcome.
- Preference will be given to candidates with deep knowledge of Judaism, Jewish culture and the San Diego Jewish Community, as well as demonstrated success as a fundraiser for a Jewish organization
- Good judgment and the highest level of integrity.
How to Apply
Candidates should send a resume, in word format to firstname.lastname@example.org.
2109 total views, 1 today