Full-Time CHIEF PROGRAM OFFICER
Jewish Family Service of San Diego (JFS) was founded in 1918 by a consortium of women’s clubs who sought to address the myriad of needs facing the community at the time. Today, JFS has grown into one of San Diego’s most comprehensive human service organizations, working both to serve the unmet needs in the San Diego Jewish community and to serve the general community. JFS helps more than 30,000 individuals annually of all ages and faiths.
The mission of the JFS is to strengthen the individual, enhance the family and protect the vulnerable, with human services based on Jewish values. With locations throughout San Diego County and the Coachella Valley, JFS is “One Source for a Lifetime of Help.” Programs include, but are not limited to:
Special Programs/Services: Adoption Alliance, Girls Give Back, Hand Up Youth Food Pantry, Hebrew Free Loan Association, Jewish BIG Pals, Jewish Employment Network, JFS Disaster Response Program, Patient Advocacy, Project SARAH (Stop Abusive Relationships at Home), Russian Jewish Community Services, Stars of David support network for Jewish and interfaith adoptive families and Supporting Jewish Single Parents.
Coachella Valley Shelter Services, in partnership with JFS of the
Desert: Desert Horizon and Desert Vista provide transitional housing and supportive services for the homeless and Roy’s Desert Resource Center offers shelter and supportive services to 90 homeless individuals daily.
Case Management Services: Crisis Case Management, Psychiatric Case Management, Intensive Psychiatric Case Management, Military Outreach, providing supplemental and emergency support to active duty military and their families and Medical Case Management, connecting individuals with medical needs to advocacy, support, intervention and daily living management tools.
Counseling Services: Individual, couples, family and group counseling services, Mood Disorder Program, and Support Groups.
JFS also offers a multitude of senior adult, parenting, youth and refugee resettlement services.
JFS offers a number of interesting programs to engage the community in support of its efforts, such as the annual Heart and Soul Gala, a Planned Giving program and an immensely successful car donation program (CARS), which provides unrestricted funds toward the annual budget. JFS was awarded a 4-star rating for the 4th year in a row by Charity Navigator for sound fiscal management.
Jewish Family Services is centrally located in San Diego with eight satellite offices located throughout San Diego County, and two locations in the Coachella Valley. The agency has approximately 300 staff members, is governed by a 33-member Board of Directors and has an operating budget of approximately $16.3 million.
Jewish Family Service of San Diego is looking for a seasoned, creative and forward-thinking individual to become its Chief Program Officer (CPO). The Chief Program Officer leads the development of JFS’s program strategy with the goal to enhance the agency’s ability to fulfill its mission: to strengthen the individual, enhance the family and protect the vulnerable, and focus on innovation and program excellence.
The CPO will lead the team of senior program directors who are the CPO’s direct reports and work with them on program strategy as well as the effective delivery of services. Integral to the success of the new CPO will be the ability manage a highly skilled professional team, collaborate with the CEO and leadership team on a strategic plan and deliver services to the community as needed. With the program leadership team, the CPO will assess emerging needs and funding opportunities, and recommend to the CEO and leadership the necessary program strategies to address those issues. S/he may be called upon to be responsible for the Agency’s operation in the absence of the CEO.
The CPO will be a program leader in the health or human services field and provide information to the Board and CEO on the changing needs of the community.
JFS has experienced explosive growth in the number of programs and people served over the past five years. Due to this, the CPO will work to develop systems to assess and evaluate all programs, their budget and funding streams as well as their outcomes. As a critical member of the senior management team, the CPO must be a talented manager with the ability to lead and when needed, redeploy and recruit staff. The candidate must have strong interpersonal skills, excellent written and communications skills, a hands-on and collaborative management style and the ability to address and solve problems as they arise. In addition, he or she will be ethical, of the highest integrity, and possess sound judgment.
Program planning and Internal Operations · Lead the CEO and staff in shaping strategic priorities for programs and expenditures and to oversee the implementation of related action plans.
· Recommend appropriate program guidelines and modifications based on client and community needs and national trends. Demonstrate flexibility in a climate of changing funding and programmatic priorities.
· Provide ongoing oversight of all agency programs to ensure that programs are well managed and operating at the highest capacity within the allowable budget.
Jewish Family Service, San Diego 2
· Actively participate in strategic and business planning and provide leadership in plan development, implementation and evaluation.
· Provide expert knowledge in a range of areas including adult services, hunger, homelessness, and youth services.
· Oversee management of funder contracts and program expenses to ensure programs’ ongoing ability to effectively and efficiently deliver JFS’s mission and meet contract objectives.
· Supervise the Grants Department and Contract Compliance Manager.
· Oversight of ETO (Efforts to Outcomes) system and its effectiveness/efficiency.
· Continue to create new, and manage existing innovative and cutting edge programs.
· Develop and maintain acceptable policy and standards of professional practice in the Agency.
· Build and maintain effective and trusting relationships with JFS’s program staff. Encourage and empower staff to maximize productivity, ensure professional excellence and high quality standards and promote teamwork.
· Ensure that day-to-day operations and programs are effectively administered and communicate with the CEO about operational or situational challenges facing the organization.
· Ensure consistency between programs in delivering client services, including the development of clear and measurable outcomes, and a system for ongoing program evaluation.
· Working in conjunction with the CFO, assist in the preparation of the agency budget.
· Evaluate the financial impact of ongoing programs and new initiatives.
· Manage programs within budgetary guidelines. Policy Making · Ensure resource development to support agency operations, planning and facilities.
· Work directly with government agencies on matters related to contracts and services.
· In the absence of the CEO and in conjunction with the CFO, act as an advisor to the Board of Directors, keeping them informed of agency operations.
Jewish Family Service, San Diego 3
Public Advocacy and Community Relations
· Participates on local, regional and national committees and groups relevant to the agency goals and objectives.
· Take part in activities which foster community understanding of the agency and its programs.
· Act as a compelling advocate for the JFS programs with internal and external stakeholders. QUALIFICATIONS Professional · An advanced degree from an accredited college or university in a field related to JFS’s mission and programs.
· Experience as a senior leader with a demonstrated track record in successfully managing programs within a complex agency/organization of comparable budget size.
· Strong management skills, with an ability to manage diverse operations, effectively multi- task and a style that encourages creativity, growth, collaboration, problem solving, open communication and accountability.
· Demonstrated ability to attract, develop, motivate and retain quality staff and work effectively with the CEO, board members, donors and volunteers.
· Proven track record of sound financial management and growth.
· Experience with program evaluation and oversight.
· A minimum of ten years experience in upper level program management.
· A person who is passionately committed to and has deep respect for the mission of the agency and its history.
· A person with excellent leadership and interpersonal skills. · A dynamic, well-spoken, creative and highly-intelligent problem solver who is able to multi- task and prioritize.
· A person who demonstrates an understanding of, and drives the Jewish dimension of services provided by the agency.
For more information please visit its website: www.jfssd.org Jewish Family Service, San Diego 4 COMPENSATION An attractive and competitive compensation package, commensurate with level of experience is available.
FOR MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT:
Susan Waterbury, Senior Consultant Jill Moscowitz, Recruitment Associate DRG, Inc. 130 East 40th Street, Suite 800 New York, New York
Tel: (212) 983-1600 Fax: (212) 983-1687
This position description is based upon materials presented by JFS.
JFS is an equal opportunity employer.
How to ApplyEmail: firstname.lastname@example.org
3151 total views, 1 today