Full-Time Business Manager
The business manger upholds the mission of the school as determined by the Board of Trustees. Whilst upholding goals, policies and standards of the school, the business manger provides valuable and insightful counsel and vision for the strategic financial future of Tehiyah Day School. The business manager will be a vital part of the leadership team and will report to the Head of School.
To work with the Head of School, the Board Treasurer and the Finance Committee of the Board of Trustees to develop and monitor all aspects of the school’s budget, actively participate in long range planning and supervise all aspects of the school’s finances, human resources, compliance, and operational functions. The Business manager is also responsible for the non-educational operations of the school including IT, Facilities, Transportation, Food Service and the after school program on a day to day basis.
• Collaborates with the Head, Treasurer and Finance Committee to plan, oversee, monitor and report all aspects of the schools’ finances.
• Provides strategic leadership in financial management to ensure the long term sustainability of the school.
• Develops and monitors internal policies, practices and systems to facilitate the efficient and safe operation of the school.
• Serves as a key member of the administrative team and finance, technology and facilities committees of the school.
• In partnership with the controller, oversees the annual audit.
Responsible for the relationship with auditors and the audit committee of the Board of Trustees.
• Prepares annual employment contracts in discussion with the Head.
• Oversees personnel policies, salaries and benefits; administers bi-monthly payroll and manages employee relations issues.
• Assists the Head of School in all legal matters including vendor contract review and negotiation.
• Maintains banking relationships and makes recommendations to the Finance committee regarding all aspects of cash flow.
• Develops annual budget in discussion with the Head and department managers, presents reports on budget, cash flow, year to date, and budget forecasts to Finance Committee and Board of Trustees.
• Oversees employee 403b retirement plan and compliance.
• Facilitates and serves on the indexed tuition committee to ensure timely and complete allocation of indexed tuition in keeping with the school policies.
• Ensures best practice in the business office.
• Proficiency in Excel required and familiarity with FUNDEZ preferred but not required.
• Manages the controller position.
Skills and Requirements
1. Strong knowledge, experience and an insightful understanding of finance and administration with a solid grasp of financial and management accounting. Experience in non profit financial matters required.
2. Excellent communication (speaking, listening and writing), planning, monitoring and delegating skills. Significant experience as a supervisor; able to juggle multiple tasks and responsibilities.
3. Exceptional planning skills and attention to detail to ensure management deadlines and clarity of financial presentations.
4. Experience and skill in problem solving and understanding financial and other risks with expertise in developing solutions for their management.
5. Experience with the development of accurate, timely and useful financial reports. Able to identify and employ appropriate technology across the responsibilities of the position. Understanding of the complexities of gift tracking and development office systems.
6. Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills, integrity, judgment and competence, with a collaborative, positive, discrete and team-oriented approach to work.
7. Experience and the ability to work cooperatively with the volunteer trustees of the Board of Directors.
8. Able to reflect and model the school’s core values.
9. Possesses experience as a leader, speaker, and decision maker.
10. Brings experience interacting with contractors, vendors, auditors, insurance risk consultants, technology consultants, etc.
11. Understands the culture of the school and engenders trust and confidence across all of its stakeholders.
12. Bachelors degree required, advanced degree is preferred.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate:
A commitment to high professional and personal standards.
The ability to keep calm under pressure.
A drive for excellence.
A great sense of humor.
Tehiyah Day School is a small, independent Bridge Kindergarten through Eighth Grade Jewish community day school, committed to providing a supportive, nurturing school environment where high-quality teaching and creativity are strongly valued.
We are an equal opportunity employer offering competitive salary and benefits.
How to ApplyQualified applicants should submit a letter of interest and resume to: Donna Sidel, Director of Communications, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2717 total views, 1 today