Beth El Synagogue Center is a multi-generational, Conservative, egalitarian congregation, located in New Rochelle, New York, serving 500 member units that takes pride in its strong sense of community, commitment to Jewish values and learning and connection to Israel. Our energetic members and guests of every age come to Beth El for spirituality, learning, socialization and recreation. We offer a variety of religious services for all ages, including a meditative “kavanah service,” song filled Kabbalat Shabbat, a vibrant Tot Shabbat experience, and are proud to be the only Synagogue in our area with an egalitarian minyan held twice a day. The Synagogue boasts a well-respected award winning and innovative Nursery School, myriad adult education offerings and volunteer opportunities, a Religious School and vibrant youth community, creative teen engagement programs, and cultural and social offerings for our community and beyond. We have a renowned summer day camp and are known in lower Westchester as “the shul with the pool.” We are enlivened by music and feel its centrality in our community.
Who We are Looking For
We are now searching for our next Executive Director to partner with our dynamic clergy and lead our Synagogue operations and team of professionals. Our ideal candidate is passionate about leading in a collaborative and purpose-driven environment. They have extensive experience within a small enterprise or not-for-profit organization and thrive in a fast paced environment, enjoy thinking strategically, and have a talent for organizing and improving systems and operations.
Reporting to the Synagogue President (on behalf of the Board of Trustees), and working collaboratively with the senior rabbi, the Executive Director is responsible for:
- Organizational Leadership and Strategic Thinking: Leads our staff in fulfilling Beth El’s vision to maintain its vibrant, growing, caring community in which each person feels connected. Collaborates with clergy and lay-leaders to set and articulate compelling visions and ensure the organization is structured and on track to achieve strategic goals, including around membership.
- Human Resources Management: Leads, supervises, develops and inspires staff, both individually and as a cohesive team. Fosters a collaborative work environment built on trust and communication. Strategizes development and implementation of optimal staffing structure. Oversees recruitment and onboarding of new employees and develops clear performance and professional development goals.
- Financial Management: In collaboration with the Synagogue Treasurer, Audit and Finance Committee, and Controller, the Executive Director manages Beth El’s budgeting, forecasting, reporting, collecting, and special financial arrangements.
- Safety, Technology, and Facilities Management: Oversees Facilities Manager and works collaboratively with lay-led security, house, and technology committees to ensure the safety and optimal functioning of our physical and virtual spaces while sustaining a welcoming environment.
- Communications, Marketing and Development: Oversees Marketing and Communications Director in fulfillment of a comprehensive communications plan providing timely, engaging, and accessible information to congregants and external audiences. Oversee Development Director and strategize long-range fundraising goals.
- Nursery School, Day Camp and Religious School: Work closely with Nursery School, Day Camp and Religious School Directors and professional staff to continue to achieve program excellence and foster collaboration between our youth serving programs and the Synagogue at large.
Education, Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree preferred;
- 5+ years experience in executive leadership positions or other equivalent experience;
- Leadership skills, including the ability to motivate, inspire, and build teams and maintain a positive and productive environment;
- Strategically oriented with the ability to work as part of a team and independently;
- Financially sophisticated, conversant with financial statements and managing budgets;
- Strong written and oral communications skills;
- Outstanding ability to collaborate with others
This is an exciting time for Beth El and we hope you will come join us to help build our vibrant future together.
Salary range and benefits: $130,000-$175,000 with a full set of benefits