Since its founding in 1825, B’nai Jeshurun (BJ), a non-affiliated synagogue on the Upper West Side, has been at the forefront of the American Jewish experience. As it approaches its third century, our vision remains focused on the spiritual work of transformation and on the creation of a Jewish path that is authentic, profound, and helps all members of the community seek and live their purpose to the fullest.
BJ’s spiritual leaders, Rabbis Rolando Matalon, Felicia Sol, and Rebecca Weintraub, and Hazzan Ari Priven, as well as BJ’s nearly 1,800 member families, share a vision of a diverse, dynamic, and inclusive community that offers many paths to Jewish religious life while supporting one another in their spiritual quests. BJ is committed to honoring tradition while re-imagining and innovating its practices and programs to create a vibrant, contemporary, and relevant Jewish life for all who seek it.
We are excited to welcome a Senior Program Administrator who can evolve with us into 2023 and beyond.
The Senior Program Administrator will manage all day-to-day administrative operations for BJ’s Adult Programming and Engagement Department, while supporting strategic efforts across the broader program team, which executes 150+ programs and services annually, reaching across demographic lines to both local and non-local members, along with the broader New York Jewish community. In addition, they will provide direct support to BJ’s Chief Program Officer, Rabbi Shuli Passow, and the Director of Program Strategy and Operations, Cantor David Mintz. The successful candidate for this role will be both detail and big-picture oriented. They will thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment; one where they can quickly analyze, prioritize, problem solve and pivot—nimbly and often—as circumstances dictate.
- Oversee logistics for all programs, services, and events in their planning, development, and execution; working closely with the Director of Program Strategy and Operations and collaborating directly with Communications, Operations, and Audio-Visual Production teams
- Anticipate, identify, flag, and/or solve issues that might interfere with the successful execution of programs and services offered. Take the initiative to proactively intervene, engage others, and/or correct such issues
- Provide administrative support to the Chief Program Officer, and Director of Program Strategy and Operations—maintaining calendars, preparing materials for meetings, maintaining database records based on community interactions, processing all invoices, expenses, and requests for reimbursement
- Respond to general queries, visitor inquiries, and requests for information that come through email and the BJ website in a timely manner with clarity, compassion, and professionalism.
- Participate in and support major BJ-wide programs and experiences, including but not limited to:
- Staffing select High Holy Days services
- Supporting membership department as needed during membership season
- Participating in significant community events (in recent years this has included the Sanctuary Centennial Celebration, Spring Fundraiser, and Building Rededication)
Experience and Skills
- BA degree (or equivalent experience), in addition to a minimum of 5 years of administrative experience
- Highly organized with superb attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- High proficiency with Microsoft Office and Google Suite (calendar, drive, and email) required. Experience with Salesforce, Slack, and project management systems preferred
- Proven experience managing multiple projects in a fast-paced environment while remaining flexible, resourceful, and efficient, with a high level of professionalism
- Strong and effective systems for managing complex and cross-departmental projects
- Relational, able to work effectively with others
- Ability to anticipate needs and solve problems proactively
- Knowledge and understanding of Jewish culture and community are a plus
While the BJ office is under renovation in 2023, this will be a hybrid position, with 1-2 days in the office from 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM, with the flexibility to work remotely during the remainder of the work week. The position will also require flexibility as in-office needs potentially shift, in addition to the ability to attend on-site monthly staff and/or departmental meetings, holiday planning meetings, and other meetings/events. Additionally, the Senior Program Administrator will be called upon to work some evenings, and on Shabbat and Jewish holidays, as needed.
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time non-exempt position, with a starting salary between $60,000-$70,000 for those who meet the minimum job requirements. BJ offers medical, dental, and vision insurance policies, as well as vacation and sick days, over 20 paid (National and Jewish) holidays, a 403b retirement plan, and many other benefits.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
B’nai Jeshurun is committed to creating a staff culture and congregational community that is accessible, inclusive, and equitable. People of Color, Jews of Color, Sephardic and Mizrahi Jews, women, people with disabilities, immigrants, and LGBTQIA+ individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.
Research shows that women and individuals who hold underrepresented identities tend to only apply to jobs for which they believe they meet all of the qualifications. Job descriptions are aspirational and no one fully meets every bullet listed. If you’ve read this and thought this is you or it could be you: please apply. We know not everyone who would excel in the position already has 100% of the skills and qualifications we are seeking.