Job Opening for Part-Time Cantorial Soloiost or Cantor for A Growing Community
MakomNY: A New Model for Jewish Community
Role of Cantorial Soloist/ Cantor:
- Be a part of the MakomNY Leadership Team and an integral part of the MakomNY community
- Join with the Rabbi in leading services on approximately 18 Friday nights throughout the year, plus several holiday services
- Co-lead approximately 15-20 B’nai Mitzvah services for MakomNY B’nai Mitzvah families in 2019-2020. Could increase for the following year.
- Participate in annual Women’s Seder and Community Seder with Rabbi
- Open to other new ideas and programs.
- Experience in leading a liberal congregation in song and prayer
- Knowledge and experience in both traditional and contemporary Jewish liturgy
- Ability to work with an accompanist/musical director and a band
- Fridays – Services 1-2x/month; welcome to attend or host any Shabbat dinners.
- Saturdays – approximately 15-20 B’nai Mitzvah throughout the year.
- Occasional – Women’s Seder; Community Seder; holiday observances
Possible additional responsibilities, with additional compensation:
- Lead a ‘drop-in’ choir weekly or bi-weekly or monthly, simply for the fun of creating a choir community, perhaps ‘performing’ occasionally, if people are interested
- Teach in our Moadon Hebrew School program on Tuesday afternoons and/or Wednesday afternoons
- Join the teaching staff on Tuesday evenings as part of the 6th/7th grade teaching team, teaching trope and high level prayers to our older students, and working on leading t’fillah
- Some B’nai Mitzvah tutoring (approximately 3 hours/week initially) with students studying toward Bar and Bat Mitzvah – probably Tuesday afternoons
- Coordinate a concert to bring music to our community, and use as a fundraiser for our community
Compensation: Base salary package includes approximately 18 Friday nights, 15-20 Shabbat morning or afternoon B’nai Mitzvah, 3-5 holiday services and seders.
Additional salary package is available for the candidate who can participate in the additional job responsibilities.
To apply please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following:
- A cover letter including why you are interested in this position and what you might add to this community.
- A current resume
- One or more audio or video demonstrations of your work